Thursday, October 7, 2010

BBQ Pulled Pork

Ok, the other day I teased you all on Facebook with the delicious smell of the pork shoulder I had in the oven. I really didn't think about putting it on the blog until now. I didn't use a recipe or accurate measurements, but it turned out delicious! Pork Shoulder has been on sale recently at Hy-Vee for $.99/lb, so I stocked up! I've also been able to use the leftovers in some creative ways. It's a great way to feed your family and stretch a buck!

All I did for the pork was pour some (probably about 2 cups) apple cider into the bottom of my roasting pan, set the pork in and then cover it in about 3/4 bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy BBQ sauce. I set the oven on 275 degrees, checked it a few times and added a little more cider and BBQ sauce when necessary. I had it in the oven approximately 8 hours. The last half an hour I took the top of off the roasting pan and it got a nice crusty coating on the top. Is your mouth watering yet?

I then made a quick easy vinegar slaw to go on top of the sandwiches we were going to have! Here is the recipe for that...

Carolina Cole Slaw

3 lbs shredded cabbage
1 red pepper, minced
1 medium red onion, minced
Dressing:
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 cup cider vinegar

I would recommend letting this sit all day or even overnight in the refrigerator. It really develops a lot more flavor the longer it sits!

I will post some of the other things I have made with this as well. BBQ Pizza, BBQ popovers and tonight I'm attempting a Pulled Pork Sheperds Pie! Hungry?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swidget 1.0 4