Wednesday, February 17, 2010

In honor of Lent...

I'm pretty sure those of you who observe meatless days during Lent get tired of the same old things... grilled cheese and tomato soup, macaroni and cheese, fish sticks, etc. I decided to search for something new and fun to make for dinner tonight. I love southern food, so when I saw this recipe I just had to try it. It was very warm, cheesy and comforting!




Shrimp and Grits Casserole


2 cups reduced fat milk (I used ff skim)
3/4 cup ff chicken broth
1 cup uncooked quick cooking grits
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
2 tbls. butter
1 (3 oz.) pkg. reduced fat cream cheese (I used ff because that's what I had on hand)
3 tbls. chopped fresh parsley
1 tbls. chopped fresh chives (I used scallions)
1 tbls. fresh lemon juice
2 large egg whites
1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp, coarsely chopped
cooking spray
hot sauce (optional, but I think it's a must!)

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Combine milk and broth in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Gradually add grits and salt to pan, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook 5 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in parmesan, butter and cream cheese. Stir in parsley and next 4 ingredients (through shrimp). Spoon mixture into 11x7 dish coating with cooking spray. (I used a 9x11 and it worked fine.) Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until set. Serve with hot sauce if desired.

For you WW's out there, here is the NI. It is based on the original recipe, not my changes)

Based on 6 servings: 8 points per serving

Calories : 341
Fat: 13 grams
Fiber: .06

1 comment:

Swidget 1.0 4