Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I like to feed myself!

We have reached the stage where Sutton wants to feed herself. It is usually a messy adventure but definitely a fun one! I am always trying to find new "finger foods" for her. So far we have had cheese, pears, apples, bananas, avocado, soft cereal bars, waffles, pancakes, grilled cheese, deli ham and chicken, ground beef, peas, carrots, and of course Cheerios! That hits the main ones anyway. To anyone out there with young little ones, I can't stress enough the importance of letting them taste things you may not think they will like. One of Sutton's favorite baby foods in the jar is broccoli with carrots and cheese. It smells horrible! Neither Sean or myself really care for broccoli. She scarfed it down! Who knew?!

My goal is to not raise a picky eater like I was. God Bless my mom. She was a good cook, but never used many spices or made anything out of the ordinary. I never knew I liked Chinese, Mexican or even alfredo sauce until college! I am amazed at the things Sutton will eat that I have cooked. She's had lasagna, southwestern chicken barley chili, turkey burgers, potato soup, oven fries, homemade pizza and more. We are almost out of the first food allergy window and I am grateful for that! We will try to hold off on peanut butter until age 2. We'll see how long we make it.

I also want her to eat healthy. I realize we aren't always going to be able to do it, but that's my goal. If anyone has any other suggestions of good finger foods, please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Henry surprises me already with what he will eat! Keep it up mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, we had a "whoops" with the peanut butter when I gave the boys each a No Bake Cookie (which of course has lots of PB in it). I asked the doctor at their 18 month appointment if that meant we were good to go on PB seeing as they hadn't reacted and we were!

    Oh, and did you see my post a week or so ago about my boys eating salads at lunch? I wish my mom had given me salad when I was 2! Maybe I wouldn't despise it so much now...

    ReplyDelete

Swidget 1.0 4