Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cheesy Ham & Potato Soup


I have to admit, once I get something stuck in my head that sounds good for dinner, I HAVE to make it. I thought that I had a package of chopped ham in the freezer to make this. It turns out I didn't. However, I did have that ham that I got at Hy-Vee when they had the buy a ham, get the turkey for free coupon. So, in keeping with cleaning out the freezer, I cooked the whole ham so that I could make this soup. Killed two birds with one stone, as my mom used to say!


This was pretty tasty but a little runny for my taste. I should note that I didn't have the ff evaporated milk, but did have some half and half so I used that. I also just substituted chicken broth for the water and bouillon cubes. I think if I make this again I would cut down to 4 cups instead of 6 cups of broth. 


Cheesy Ham & Potato Soup


Serves 8


6 md Potatoes Raw Peeled,diced
1 c Ham Extra Lean,Cubed
1 c carrots,sliced
1 c Celery,chopped
1/2 c onion,Chopped
6 c water
4 t bouillon Chicken,Or 4 Cubes
parsley flakes to taste
12 oz Milk Evaporated,Fat Free
6 oz Velveeta 2% Milk Fat,Cut


In Crockpot, combine diced potatoes, ham, sliced carrots, chopped
celery and
onion, water, chicken bouillon, and parsley flakes.

Cook 6 1/2 to 9 hours on LOW or 3 to 4 hours on high.

30 to 40 minutes before soup is done (20 minutes if cooking on HIGH),
add evaporated milk and velveeta cheese.


Serving: 189 Cal (14% from Fat, 26% from Protein, 59% from Carb); 3 g
Tot Fat; 3 g Fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swidget 1.0 4