Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sopa Ranchera

I was looking for a new soup to make tonight, so I went to my file of soup recipes that I had copied from the Weight Watcher message boards. I also wanted to use up some of the things I had in the pantry. This soup is really tasty and healthy! It's a very "clean" recipe, which as I am coming to understand, means there aren't many processed ingredients. The lime at the end really brightens the flavor. I would highly recommend it!

Don't forget it's Cans for Comments week. Please leave me a comment and/or sign up to follow my blog and I will donate a non-perishable item to the food drive at our church. In honor of the Souper Bowl food drive, here's another winning soup recipe!

Sopa Ranchera


1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 garlic clove minced
3 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth, reduced sodium
1 3/4 cups cubed peeled baking potato
1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
2 cups cooked shredded chicken, about 8 oz.
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
3/4 tsp. salt (adjust according to taste)
1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced)
1 cup diced tomato
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Toppings: (optional)

2/3 cup finely chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2/3 cup low fat sour cream
2/3 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
10 lime wedges

To prepare soup, heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add 1 cup onion, saute 3 minutes. Add oregano, cumin and garlic and saute 1 minute. Add chicken stock, potato and chickpeas and bring to a boil 5 minutes. Add chicken, corn, salt and zucchini; cook 5 minutes. Stir in tomato and cilantro; cook 2 minutes.

Ladle 1 cup of soup per bowl and 1 tbls. of each topping. Serve with lime wedges.

Yield 10 servings

Calories 208, Fat 7.2, Fiber 3g = 4 WW points per serving

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Thanks for the great new recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds tasty! I read Helen's blog and saw her mention you are doing Cans for Comments so I wanted to help out :)

    ReplyDelete

Swidget 1.0 4