Thursday, October 8, 2009

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

I don't know about you, but we love soup on cold rainy days! It has been raining all day here in Kansas City. So much for all of those errands I was going to run today! Oh well! I am really looking forward to dinner tonight, as this is what I have in the crock pot...

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 lb. shredded cooked chicken
1 can Ro-Tel
1 (10 oz.) can enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. water
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen corn
1 Tbls. chopped cilantro

Directions:

Place chicken, Ro-Tel, enchilada sauce, onion, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover and cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high setting for 3 to 4 hours.

You can't get much easier than this! You could also make it on the stove top if you don't have a slow cooker. To make it even easier, you could use frozen chopped onion, shred some store bought rotisserie chicken or use canned chicken. If you don't like cilantro, leave it out. I also added a little bit of chopped carrot and some shredded yellow squash to mine. Any soup is adaptable and an easy way to sneak in some extra veggies!

You can top it with crushed baked tortilla chips, chopped tomato, cilantro, avocado, sour cream and cheese. Yummy! Enjoy! :)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful. Might have to be on the menu for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not recommend adding the carrot. It altered the flavor a bit and didn't taste as good as the first time I made it. Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What size can of Rotel did you use? I use the big 16 oz one but I'm thinking next time I'll use a smaller one. Also, I didn't realize I got the "HOT" enchilada sauce... next time I'll actually look at the can. LOL. Otherwise, it was great!!

    ReplyDelete

Swidget 1.0 4